The Abbey Church of England Voluntary Aided School
Through our teaching we aim to:
- enable children to become confident, resourceful, enquiring, independent and self-motivated learners;
- foster children’s self-esteem, and help them to build positive relationships with other people;
- develop children’s self-respect, encourage them to understand the ideas, attitudes and values of other people from a range of cultures, and teach them to respect other people’s feelings and heritage;
- enable children to understand their community, and help them feel valued as part of it;
- help children grow into reliable, independent and positive citizens.
- to ensure that their child has the best attendance record possible;
- to ensure that their child is equipped for school with the correct uniform and PE kit;
- to do their best to keep their child healthy and fit to attend school;
- to inform school if there are matters outside of school that are likely to affect a child’s performance or behaviour;
- to promote a positive attitude towards school and learning in general;
Abbey School's Rich History
The school first opened here as St James School in 1873 and still retains the two original Victorian classrooms, now extensively modernised.
In 1987, following an amalgamation with Enmore Green School, it was renamed the Abbey. We changed from a First to a Primary School in September 2003. There have been several later additions to the building which now provides a total of seven classrooms, a library and music room, computer suite and a large, well equipped hall.
Here's what our children say about us- Please see these two short films made by the childrenThis short film about our school was made by the School Council
Abbey is Happy! This film was made by year 4 for their class assembly
Are you new to the area?
We do currently have a limited number of spaces in some year groups. Visits to the school are always welcome. We would be delighted to show you around. Please Contact us
The school is fortunate to have extensive grounds with hard play areas, a wildlife pond, a garden, a tranquil reflective area, a play trail, an outdoor performance area and a maze.
The oldest part of the building is Grade II listed and dates back to 1873. To see our entry on the English Heritage web site, click here.
The school is on a hill with views across the Blackmore Vale towards Melbury and Compton Abbas. The school's catchment area is part of Shaftesbury including St. James and Enmore Green plus the villages of Cann, Melbury, East and West Orchard, Guy's Marsh, Hartgrove, Margaret Marsh and part of Twyford.